Oulton Park - 11th May 2013

The 2013 Aston Martin GT4 Challenge Great Britain moved to rural Cheshire for Round 2 at the picturesque but demanding Oulton Park circuit. With changeable conditions forecast and some very strong drives in the previous race at Silverstone, the scene was set for a dramatic day of racing.

For further information please contact:

Andrew Williamson
Customer Programmes Manager
Tel: +44 (0) 1295 273 355
Email: awilliamson@astonmartinracing.com



Race Report & Results

Qualifying got underway on Saturday morning in wet, but drying conditions. Unfortunately, the #27 Track-Club car of Kevin Norville & Calum Lockie was absent for qualifying, and the remainder of the day. Kevin was involved in an accident during Friday’s test session, and while he thankfully avoided serious injury, the car was too damaged to be repaired in time. We hope to see Kevin & Calum back for Round 3 at Donington. The session was headed by the #22 Bouche/Jarman car, the pair brimming with confidence after their season opening win at Silverstone, setting a time of 1:47.798. They were pushed hard by the #56 car of Richard Taffinder & Tim Eakin, who set a time only 0.357s slower, to join them on the front row.

The fight for 3rd to 6th places was similarly close, with less than one second covering the four cars. At the flag it was the #24 Vantage Racing machine of Tom Black & Chris Kemp that took 3rd, ahead of Adrian & Clare Johnson in 4th, Bolaji Odunsi & Richard Hope in 5th and Mike Brown & Paul Cripps in 6th. Challenge returnee Mark Walker put the car 7th on grid with his co-driver David Tinn.

The inclement weather continued to torment the paddock throughout the morning, creating constantly changing conditions. The rain persisted right up until the start of the race, producing a very wet and treacherous track surface. The race got underway at 11.25am with Oliver Bouche in the #22 holding first place until he ran wide at Druids, allowing #56, driven by Tim Eakin to take the lead. While this was going on the #7 MB racing car was steadily making its way up the order, improving from 6th to 4th in the opening laps. Oliver in the #22 Stratton Motorsport car was able to retake the lead shortly after and then began to edge away from the Hills Racing car in 2nd.

While this was happening at the front, Adrian Johnson in the #14 was putting in a blistering run of laps to close the gap to #7 and made a bold move at Lodge to take 4th place. Adrian’s pace continued, allowing him to reel in Tom Black in the #24 Vantage Racing car and make move up the inside at Old Hall corner. Unfortunately for the Adrian Johnson racing team, all this effort was undone shortly after thanks to a mistake at the Knickerbrook chicane. Thankfully, Adrian was able to get back on track and continue, setting off in pursuit of Tom Black once again.

Drama then hit the leading #22 car as Andrew Jarman, who had taken over from Olivier Bouche, pitted twice in quick succession. Andrew could feel a lack of stability at the rear of the car, which was initially thought to be a puncture, however the tyre was replaced and the instability remained. This double pit stop allowed the #7 MB racing car, now driven by Paul Cripps to take the lead with 30 minutes remaining.


Further issues dogged the #24 Vantage Racing car on lap 38 as a short pit stop resulted in 12 second a stop & go penalty for Chris Kemp. By lap 40, Jarman in the #22 had rallied and was in hot pursuit of the leading #7. At the same time, Richard Hope in the #20 Track Club car was catching Clare Johnson, who was running in a superb 3rd position in the #14 car. Clare was reporting a lack of vision due to the conditions, however Richard, who was close behind also had to deal with the huge amount of spray produced by Clare’s rear Dunlop's.

Andrew Jarman’s pursuit of Paul Cripps effectively came to an end, when he lost 12 seconds to the leading #7 car with a mistake the Shell Oils hairpin. With just 3 minutes to Clare Johnson was still under huge pressure from Richard Hope, however Richard ran wide at Knickerbrook, which allowed the #14 Adrian Johnson racing machine to pull a gap and maintain 3rd position.

The chequered flag came out t the end of lap 46 and it was the Paul Cripps & Mike Brown who took the win, followed by Oliver Bouche & Andrew Jarman in 2nd and Adrian & Clare Johnson in a fine 3rd place. Track-Club missed out on a second successive podium by just 4.330 seconds to take 4th, with Vantage a lap further back in 5th. Mark Walker & David Tinn brought the car home in 6th place, no mean feat given the appalling conditions.

The next round of the GT4 Challenge of Great Britain takes place at Donington Park on June 1. Anyone interested in hospitality passes to attend as a spectator/guest or competing in the race on an ‘arrive and drive’ basis with Stratton Motorsport should go to www.astonmartin.com/gt4challenge for further information.

Race Classification









MB Racing

Mike Brown & Paul Cripps





Stratton Motorsport

Olivier Bouche & Andrew Jarman





Adrian Johnson Racing

Clare Johnson & Adrian Johnson






Bolaji Odunsi & Richard Hope





Vantage Racing

Tom Black & Chris Kemp





Stratton Motorsport

Mark Walker & David Tinn





Hills Racing

Richard Taffinder & Tim Eakin



Image Gallery

For high resolution imagery please contact:

Andrew Williamson
Tel: +44 (0) 1295 273 355
Email: awilliamson@astonmartinracing.com